Most people don't think too much about their cholesterol levels unless their doctors tell them they should lower their 'bad cholesterol' levels, otherwise known as LDL, or low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. To lower bad cholesterol one would cut out saturated fats and trans fats, but what should one eat if they would like to increase their 'good cholesterol', otherwise known as HDL, or high-density lipoprotein cholesterol?
Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats reduce inflammation in the body and are great food sources for good cholesterol. These fats can be found in oils such as olive oil, peanut oil and canola oil. Fish such as salmon, mackerel, sardines, herring and other fatty fish high in omega-3 fatty acids are also good cholesterol sources, as are nuts such as walnuts and almonds. Soluble fiber is known to reduce 'bad cholesterol' and can be found in foods such as prunes, apples, kidney beans, bananas, oat bran, and oatmeal.
The body needs healthy fats and good cholesterol. If your doctor has recommended that you lower your cholesterol levels and raise your good cholesterol, have some oatmeal with bananas or prunes for breakfast and don't be afraid to add a spoonful of flaxseed oil in the oatmeal, or substitute your toast spread with flaxseed oil. Have nuts and fruit for snacks, a large salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for lunch, and enjoy fresh fish with veggies and rice for dinner.
Return to Vitamin Stuff Homepage:
- Peppers, Capsaicin, and Prostate Cancer
- CAN USING OLIVE OIL REDUCE THE RISK OF CANCER ?
- What are all the vegetable oils?
- Monounsaturated fat is known as 'healthy fat' and considered to be the healthiest type of fat that one can ingest
- Visceral Fat a.k.a Hidden Belly fat
- Our total fat intake should be between 20% - 35% of our total caloric intake
- Most multivitamin supplements don't contain vitamin K
- Pycnogenol has been shown to be a more effective antioxidant than either vitamin C or vitamin E
- How does the body produce its own supply of inositol?
- Both flaxseed and flaxseed oil offer substantial cardiovascular protection to the body